Tuesday, August 09, 2005


Two-Four Tuesday (v.7)

Our previous list of the "Top Five" safety upgrades in automobiles that have saved the most American lives since 1960 finally garnered a comment. So, I'm going to reward our lonely player with another list today. According to a report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the #2 item (though not #4, as predicted by Aloma210) was indeed energy-absorbing steering assemblies (over 53,000 lives saved since 1960), and the #4 item was improved instrument panel designs (over 21,000 lives). By the way, Aloma210, adhesive windshield bonding ranked #8 -- but not so much for not shattering, but rather, for not falling into the car and breaking during a collision.

And now, on to today's game. We hope you'll play along again!

I will post the "Top Five" items in a list, except that I'm leaving out the 2nd and the 4th items. Your mission -- comment with your guesses (or "answers", if you're that confident) as to what the missing items are. Don't cheat by looking up the info on the web -- just have fun and take your own guess. I'll give the correct answers the following Tuesday, if there have been comments made.

Top Five states by the percentage of their population that was born outside the state of residence, according to the 1990 U.S. Census.

1. Nevada (78%)
2. ??
3. Alaska (66%)
4. ????
5. Wyoming (57%)

(Your tricky hint for #2 are the red birds and the blue and striped fish of Jupiter, and the similarly tricky hint for #4 is the Texas Rangers [Surprise!].)

4 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, August 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's me again. My immediate guess
was Florida(2) and Texas(4), but
your hints made that appear too
obvious, so I looked it up. My
findings were Florida and Arizona,
If that is correct, then I don't
understand the 'tricky hints'

I noticed that you used 1990 census
data. To find out how 1990-2000
affected this type of demographic,
I highly recommend the following
website: frey-demographer.org

Would you be receptive to reader-
initiated Two-Fours? I'd be glad
to submit one once in a while.

 
At 6:28 PM, August 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:49 PM, September 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would guess Florida and Washington DC (original home of the Texas Rangers)

 
At 11:50 PM, October 06, 2005, Blogger blackelevenodd said...

I'm guessing like the previous poster about Washington DC is number 4.

The Washington Senators changed leagues and states in 1972 and became the Texas Rangers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home